Associate Director Global Project Management, Oncology Portfolio Resource Lead
At AstraZeneca we work together across global boundaries to make an impact and find answers to challenges. We do this with the upmost integrity even in the most difficult situations because we are committed to doing the right thing.
The Associate Director Global Project Management, Oncology Portfolio Resource Lead is a critical position which supports the important connection between Oncology portfolio strategy and project resourcing.
The Associate Director Global Project Management, Oncology Portfolio Resource Lead will report directly to the Global Head of Oncology Project Management within GPPM and leads the Oncology Portfolio Resource Council. This individual will be responsible for establishing an effective strategy and processes for resource and capacity management, across both the early and late portfolio, by partnering with project management (representing teams), functional leads (representing functions) and key business partners. Collectively, this group will ensure that resources across the enterprise are assigned and allocated to deliver the Oncology drug development portfolio in alignment with strategic priorities as defined by senior leadership.
This role sits at the intersection of portfolio strategy and project delivery, and as a result, interfaces with a number of key clients and business partners across the organization. The ideal candidate will have good stakeholder management skills, an understanding of drug development and roles that different functions play in delivering the pipeline and can effectively drive processes to capture information while thinking ahead to the strategic discussions needed with senior leaders to optimally resource the portfolio.
- Strategic Alignment of Resources. Work with the Resource Council to allocate and assign resources to project-based work in alignment with portfolio priorities.
- Portfolio Resource Assessment. Deliver periodic assessments of resources in support of portfolio management by governance and annual strategy and business planning. Support functions in conducting long term resource needs analysis by aligning on assumptions for the annual business planning including portfolio progression, capacity strategies, financial targets, and continuous improvement plans.
- Scenario Analysis. Analyse resource Implications of project strategy and resource options that could impact project strategy on an ad hoc basis. Conduct custom analyses of portfolio and resource information at the request of leadership. Coordinate proposals for resolution of resource constraints.
- Process. Provide leadership as business process expert for Resource Management in Oncology. Drive for consistent resource management processes across Oncology functions. Identify and lead changes in the process in order to drive continuous improvement.
- Data Quality. Work with the Oncology Resource Council (early and late) and global project managers to ensure enterprise systems accurately reflect project demand across the entire portfolio. Drive systematic improvements to data quality. Work with systems team to improve enterprise data and reporting systems to better support resource management.
Resource Council Support
- Member. Serve as a core member of the Resource Councils as expert on enterprise systems, reporting tools, resource management process and business planning process.
- Planning. Work with the Resource Council administrator and TA analysts to organize the forward agenda for the including investment decision resource reviews.
- Communication. Work with Resource Council chairs to create effective communication to functional and project stakeholders.
Resource and Portfolio Analytics and Reporting
- Investment Decisions. Coordinate prospective analysis of resource impacts of portfolio and project scope changes including investment decisions. Create clear, aligned understanding of resource needs at portfolio investment decisions
- SME. Serve a subject matter expert (SME) for resource reporting tools which are used in-house and provide coaching and support to global project managers in Biopharma.
- Report Design & Delivery. Design, deliver and maintain routine reports as needed by Resource Councils in areas such as resources, capacity, milestones, historical resource and capacity data and time entry data. Create insightful reports with high accuracy that are polished for delivery to senior and executive leadership.
- Monthly Resource RAG. Responsible for design, delivery and maintenance of monthly red-amber-green (RAG) resource gap report.
Education, Qualifications, Skills and Experience
Education and Experience
- 5 to 8 years of experience in the pharmaceutical industry
- Experience in drug development
- Experience in business analysis, capacity management or reporting role
- Bachelor's Degree
- Advanced degree in a scientific discipline
- In-depth knowledge of drug development process
- Experience in project management organization or PMO
- Experience with resource management
- Consulting or advisory-type background
Required Skills and Experience
- Excellent working knowledge of analytical tools and enterprise systems
- In depth analytical skills including experience with delivery of executive level reports
- Ability to effectively engage with senior stakeholders
- Organized, structured approach to work with consistent on-time delivery
- Demonstrated ability to apply creativity and innovation to solve difficult business problems
- Ability to concisely communicate complex information
- Strong collaborative work style with ability to constructively challenge
- Open, transparent, proactive communication
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.