DevOps Automation Engineer
The DataOps Engineer may be an experienced individual contributor but will also play a leadership role on smaller initiatives and projects overseeing other Software Engineers and may be a Subject Matter Expert in their specialized field. The DataOps Engineer will pair with other DataOps Engineers, Leads, and Architects to design, build, test and deploy DataOps solutions.
The role will involve analysing the Software Development Lifecycle, standards, patterns and processes within the Data & Analytics domain with a view on optimizing and improving the organisations capability through automation, monitoring and mentoring.
AstraZeneca is a global biopharmaceutical business that focuses on the discovery, development and commercialisation of prescription medicines for some of the world's most serious diseases. At AstraZeneca, we're proud to have a workplace culture that inspires innovation and collaboration. Here, you would express diverse perspectives, contribute to an energised environment and provide creative ideas - and be rewarded for this.
Science and Enabling Units IT is a global IT capability supporting drug research, drug development, Global Product & Portfolio Strategy, Global Medical Affairs, Finance, HR, Compliance, Legal and Global Business Services. We are organized around 7 key capability areas: Business Partnering, Solution Delivery, Architecture, Application Support, Data & Analytics, Change & Operations. We operate out of sites across the US, UK, Sweden, India and Mexico.
Data & Analytics provides analytics, data insight services and solutions critical to the mission of AstraZeneca. D&A is organized into teams specialising in: Information Architecture, Data Engineering, Visual Engineering, Knowledge Management, Data Science, Data Analysis and Information Governance.
We are recruiting for engineers to be based at our Central Cambridge site. As an engineer you will support solution development, provide technical leadership, and take responsibility for delivery. You are a T-shaped engineer, a person with a broad range of knowledge and experience across data & analytics, with significant depth in at least one technical area. You will work almost exclusively on our AWS data platform.
You will join a team that has delivered cloud solutions, such as the development of auto-scaling containerised ETL. Similarly, we have built an automated ETL test harness which integrates with our evolving CI/CD processes. We have a significant backlog of work, so you might be supporting the development of a data hub processing terabytes of clinical trial data, the world’s largest genomics platform, a federated reporting capability, a new tax analytics platform, or improvements to any of our existing analytics solutions.
You'll be part of a team of engineers who work closely with IT colleagues in Chennai and Guadalajara. You would be the technical point of reference on projects. We have business partners and team members spread globally, so you would need a collaborative delivery approach to be successful. We prefer to use Agile, but choose the appropriate approach for the project.
So, experience of a variety of delivery management approach will come in useful. You will provide technical leadership throughout our software development lifecycle, from the initial development of a technical design based on a blueprint, right through to hypercare.
Do you have a real passion for delivering well engineered data and analytics solutions? Because this will make you stand out from other specialists.
If you would like to discuss flexible working or part-time working we would be happy to hear from you.
Key skills and experience
- You will have strong experience in delivering automation and process improvements,
- You will have delivery experience across key elements of the data & analytics domain,
- You will need great interpersonal skills & a collaborative approach to delivery,
- You will be able to demonstrate an ability to understand business needs and translate them into a solution,
- You must have strong analytical and data manipulation ability,
- You will have experience of technical leadership in data and analytics.
Desirable technical skills & experience
- Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery (we use Jenkins, Nexus, Git),
- Experience of automated testing,
- Experience of creating and administering data warehouses and data marts (MySQL, PostGreSQL, Oracle, Redshift, SnowFlake),
- Experience of ETL & cloud techniques and tools (we currently use Talend for ETL, AWS data & analytics services such as S3, SQS, SNS, Redshift, Postgres, Aurora, MySQL, EMR, HIVE, PIG, Spark),
- Experience of visualisation technologies (we are focused on OBIEE and Microstrategy),
- Familiarity with creating bespoke graphical user interfaces and application APIs,
- Experience of building scalable high availability analytics solutions,
- Experience of data analysis – profiling, investigating, interpreting and documenting data structures,
- Familiarity with data modelling techniques and hands on modelling experience (our relational databases are third normal form and star schema),
- Agile practices, especially being a SCRUM Master.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law. AstraZeneca only employs individuals with the right to work in the country/ies where the role is advertised.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.