Principal Knowledge Graph Data Scientist
Principal Knowledge Graph Data Scientist
Location(s) – Gaithersburg (US), Cambridge (UK) or Gothenburg (Sweden)
Salary – Competitive salary and company benefits apply
Would you like to be a part of a Data Science & Artificial Intelligence (DS&AI) group who has direct strategic impact on drug development, playing a key role in getting medicines to patients?
At AstraZeneca, we are constantly pushing the boundaries of science to deliver life-changing medicines to patients, with a real passion for discovery and a pipeline to show for it. Here, you’ll have the opportunity to make a difference in people’s lives every single day.
AstraZeneca is looking to invest in the data management and analysis platforms underlying its existing and emerging drug discovery technology, through its long-term Growth Through Innovation Strategy. Within the new Data Science and AI Group, you will be working with colleagues to build data management and analysis foundations for the future.
The Data Science & AI team collaborates across R&D to drive innovation through data science and AI. Together we aim to:
- Improve our understanding of disease and uncovering new targets
- Transform R&D processes
- Speed the design and delivery of new medicines for patients
You will play a key role in developing Astrazeneca’s ability to surface key biological insights through novel hypothesis generation based on integrated knowledge constructs. You will also ensure that the R&D data in our graphs is F.A.I.R (Findable, Accessible, Interoperable and Reusable).
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides knowledge graphs and high dimensional biology expertise to cross-functional Astrazeneca projects and drives delivery of advanced data science solutions
- Is familiar with a range of methodologies and graph based techniques
- Develop project requirements from interactions with senior stakeholders and collaborators across R&D functions
- Delivers data science solutions and appropriately communicates findings with non-technical stakeholders.
- Develops libraries and analytical machine learning tools aimed at mapping diverse biomedical information domains into specialized knowledge maps/graphs
- Builds and implements algorithms to perfrom graph inference for hypothesis generation and testing
- Leads small (2-3 person) data science projects of defined scope.
- Mentor and support the data scientists across multiple projects to drive the development of knowledge graphs as an Astrazeneca capability
- Reviews working practices and ensures non-compliant processes are escalated.
- Ensures own work is compliant within Clinical Development, and other appropriate regulations and procedures.
- Activity participates in enterprise wide knowledge graph community networks
- Report and present research findings and developments including status and results clearly and efficiently both internally and externally, verbally and in writing.
- Delivery of novel biological insights from graph-based network biology structures.
- MSc degree in rigorous quantitative science (such as mathematics, computer science, engineering)
- Practical software development and analytical skills in standard data science tools (such as R or python)
- Extensive hands-on experience applying data science tools in practice.
- Knowledge and experience of working with knowledge graphs
- Excellent Communication, business analysis, and consultancy.
- Significant experience post-graduate degree in machine learning and graph-based algorithms
- Experience in natural language processing algorithms, and various biomedical ontologies
- Experience with F.A.I.R. data principles
- PhD degree in rigorous quantitative science (such as mathematics, computer science, engineering).
- Experience within the pharmaceutical industry.
- In-depth experience of working in a global organization with complex/geographical context
- Strong track record of delivering large, cross functional projects
- Experience in novel methods development and application
- Experience post-graduate degree in data science.
- Published papers and/or patents
Next Steps – Apply today
Posting date: 15/11/2019
Closing date: 16/12/2019
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.