Graph Front End Engineer
AstraZeneca is a global, innovation-driven biopharmaceutical business that focuses on the discovery, development and commercialization of prescription medicines for some of the world's most serious diseases. But we're more than one of the world's leading pharmaceutical companies. At AstraZeneca, we're proud to have a unique workplace culture that inspires innovation and collaboration. Here, employees are empowered to express diverse perspectives and are made to feel valued, energized and rewarded for their ideas and creativity.
About the role
Are you interested in building data products that could benefit millions of patients? Do you like the freedom to design and code on experimental projects?
We are assembling a new team committed to building and analysing disease knowledge graphs, comprising diverse skillsets: data scientists, engineers, bioinformaticians and with an interest in graph and natural language processing. This team will transform our ability to surface key biological insights improving our understanding of oncology, respiratory and cardiovascular disease, targets and drug response.
We are looking for an entrepreneurial Front End Developer who is experienced in the design of web apps and can take ownership of the visual appearance of our product.
What you’ll do
We are working in collaboration with our scientists to help develop better drugs faster, choose the right treatment for a patient and run safer clinical trials.
Our team is integrating knowledge from biomedical literature, genomics, screening and chemistry to
- Discover novel drug targets.
- Identify patterns defining distinct patient groups and biomarkers.
- Understand drug mechanism of action and safety.
- Build recommendation systems supporting decision making in drug programs.
As part of our team, you will design and build innovative web applications and data visualizations that AstraZeneca’s drug discovery scientists use to make each of these key decisions.
You will architect efficient and reusable API and front-end systems that drive complex web applications.
You will collaborate with Data Scientists, Software Engineers and Product Managers across AstraZeneca to build compelling user-facing products.
What you’ll need
- Independent, Creative, collaborative, & product focused
- Experience coding as part of a team (including participating in PR reviews, establishing unit testing, linting and performance frameworks within CI/CD)
- Coded a significant project in React before.
- Experience in iterating over designs using prototyping tools such as Figma or Sketch.
- HTML/CSS experience, including concepts like layout, specificity, cross browser compatibility, and accessibility
- Have contributed to APIs design
Bonus points if:
- You have experience with React, Mithril.js, Vue.js or other front end libraries for writing reusable components
- You have worked on you own as the solo front-end developer in a team.
- You have experience iterating over designs with clients or users
- You use redux or other libraries for state management
- You have experience using typescript
- You have created data visualizations (D3.js, Vega, plotly.js) and maybe even used network visualization libraries (sigma.js, linkurious.js, cytoscape.js)
- You have designed or used graphQL APIs in your projects.
- You have some knowledge of linux command line and/or CI/CD systems.
- You have knowledge of the biological or drug discovery domain
PLEASE NOTE: This role is still live and accepting applications
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.