Global Project Manager - Late Stage Oncology
At AstraZeneca, we are committed to advancing the science of oncology to deliver life-changing medicines to patients. With a combination-focused pipeline, we help address unmet clinical needs in a host of cancers, motivated by a dedication to the scientific discovery and collaboration that will one day help eliminate cancer as a cause of death.
As an Associate Director of Project Management in the late stage Oncology organization, you would be accountable for leading cross functional drug development teams to achieve key development, regulatory and commercial milestones. You will be a champion for best-practices and drive project management efficiency through leadership and influence of global team members and staff, as well as drive strategy development and leading new opportunities through governance approvals.
This position plays a highly visible, critical role in successfully delivering innovative medicines through the drug development process to patients
Our team lives by a clear vision: Working collaboratively to optimize projects and our portfolio. If you’re a passionate communicator adept at motivating matrixed team members and can bring an entrepreneurial spirit of ‘get it done better’, join us in this highly influential role.
We are currently hiring for roles on the DS8201 HER2 ADC and Imfinzi PDL1 program teams.
This role can be based in Gaithersburg US, Canada or Cambridge UK.
Cross-functional Team Leadership and Delivery
- Partners with the GML and GPT leaders to drive the project strategy, optimize delivery in terms of time, cost, value and risk, and ensure team is meeting LSPC contracted deliverables
- Strategically and operationally focuses GPT and sub-teams on pipeline delivery, ensuring corporate metrics are achieved in an optimized and value driven way
- Drives cross-functional, operational integration for sub-teams, including coordinating cross-functional activities and communications involving team members and external partners with minimal supervision.
- Coach project teams and members towards successful issue resolution and decision making and focus the team on the right activities at the right time. Identify development opportunities for team members
Manage Strategy Alignment
- Provide program management leadership by active input into the project strategy & vision, ensuring alignment of the project strategy with operational delivery
- Lead the drug project strategy or cross-project and portfolio strategies
- Provides guidance to senior management and governance bodies that allows efficient (timely and informed) decision making
- Leverage broad influential network and ensure engagement at all levels prior to key decisions
- Lead by example in learning, innovation, cross-functional collaboration and conflict resolution; seek opportunities to change paradigm and removes barriers within and outside the team.
- Champion company best practices and adaption of new project management practices.
Planning, Monitoring and Delivery
- Ensure that overall team deliverables, budgets, schedules, and performance standards are realistically set, governance approved and attained, and that the project effectively fulfils all business reporting requirements.
You will have strong leadership skills coupled with a strategic mindset and a sharp focus on delivery to succeed in this role.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in a scientific or technical subject
- 5+ years of experience
- Extensive experience leading drug development projects
- Project Management experience with successful track record of delivering complex/ high business impact drug development projects within agreed time, quality and cost.
- Ability to motivate, lead and inspire high performing teams
- Excellent working knowledge of project management tools and processes.
- Track record of effective Senior Stakeholder management, demonstrating strong ability to influence strategically
- Advanced degree in a scientific discipline and / or MBA
- In-depth knowledge of drug development process, particularly late stage clinical development
- Oncology drug development experience
- Project Management (PMP) Certification
This is a permanent opportunity which will be office based in either Gaithersburg US, Canada or Cambridge UK
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.