Radiomics Scientist – Biomedical Imaging
Our entire business is transforming at pace. We’re on a journey to become a data-led enterprise from IT through to R&D. We’ve come so far, but in many ways we’re just getting started…
There’s no better place, or time, to join. We’re investing like never before in our people, in growth, and in new techniques and technologies. There are opportunities at every turn, with a variety and breadth that is uncommon to find.
Scientists at AstraZeneca are working every day to turn science fiction into science fact. Our dream - to develop innovative, targeted medicines for every patient that needs them - and to match those treatments to patients most likely to benefit from them – is now becoming a reality. This approach, known as Precision Medicine, is based on those individual characteristics that make some patients respond to treatment better than others. We use this knowledge to develop diagnostic tests that doctors can use to help prescribe the best treatment for each patient. Indeed, it’s now become common practice for patients with cancer to be offered such diagnostic tests before their treatment plan is agreed
The Diagnostic Science group within Precision Medicine transform data and innovative technologies into future diagnostic options to match patients’ needs. Two areas of focus within this group are Diagnostic Data and AI technologies and next generation medicines and early detection.
We are seeking a Radiomics Scientist – Biomedical Imaging to join the group.
In this role you will use your expertise in machine learning to develop innovative quantitative imaging approaches for improving prognosis, diagnosis and prediction of treatment response across therapeutic areas (Oncology, Respiratory, Cardiovascular) and imaging modalities (digital pathology, CT and PET). You will be leading projects from prototyping through delivering clinical trial ready solutions. To achieve this, you will scout technologies and work in a highly multidisciplinary environment with diagnostic experts, clinicians, statisticians and IT professionals. This is an opportunity to transform data and innovative technologies into future diagnostic options to match patients´ needs.
Typical Accountabilities, what you will be doing:
- You will lead the development of radiomic approaches that can be implemented in AstraZeneca clinical trials
- Identify key opportunities where machine learning can create more value from biomedical images (e.g. virtual biopsy or delta radiomics approaches)
- You’ll prototype and validate models in collaboration with internal or external partners.
- Build a radiomics workflow (incl. segmentation, feature extraction and modelling) to standardize image pre-processing and effectively analyse imaging data and enable integration with omics and clinical data
- You will identify and engage with external collaborators to develop applications for clinical trial deployment and regulatory approval.
- Report and present results internally and externally.
Education, Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- PhD degree in Machine Learning, Biomedical Image Analysis, Computer Vision or similar.
- Experience in applying deep learning to analyse pathology, CT or PET images evidenced by publications.
- A passion to apply machine learning to tackle difficult problems in precision medicine.
- Successful development of imaging solutions in a clinical environment
- Experience deploying applications in the cloud.
- Knowledge of regulations and standards in clinical research.
Role can be considered at career levels E - G depending on the suitability and experience of the successful candidate.
Next steps, if you feel you are suitable for the position please apply.
Location: Cambridge, UK or Gothenburg or Stockholm, Sweden
Salary: Competitive + Excellent Benefits
Closing Date: Friday 4th October 2019
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.