Medical Director, Physician
Are you a Physician who has expertise with diabetes, obesity, non-alcoholic fatty liver disease/non-alcoholic steatohepatitis? Would you like to grow your expertise in a company where we work at the cutting edge of science to develop the ground-breaking medicines of the future? Join us now to be part of the discovery of novel treatments for Cardiovascular, Renal and Metabolic diseases!
At AstraZeneca, you will be empowered to be innovative and creative where difference is valued. We thrive in a place where the brightest and most curious minds seamlessly come together in our inclusive environment. Our innovative discoveries will ultimately have the potential to reach billions of patients’ in need across the globe. That’s why we love it – this is the place to make a greater impact.
We are now recruiting a Senior Medical Director/Medical Director to join the Early Clinical Development (ECD) department within Early Cardiovascular, Renal and Metabolism (CVRM), one of AstraZeneca’s main therapy areas.
This role is focused on Metabolic Diseases and will give you the opportunity to work at the forefront of early clinical and translational research within CVRM. In a multidisciplinary environment you will play a key role in progressing a rich and diverse pipeline of both small and large molecules in numerous active clinical programs.
Early CVRM is accountable for discovery and development (up to phase II) of new drugs in the CVRM therapeutic area within three main strategic areas - cardiovascular/heart failure, metabolism (diabetes, obesity and non-alcoholic steatohepatitis) and chronic kidney diseases. ECD consists of experienced medical directors, clinical scientists and clinical program directors, who in a collaborative manner define clinical development strategy, design innovative clinical trials and translate novel scientific ideas to proof of concept in target populations. The early CVRM study teams have ownership of the design, conduct, monitoring, data interpretation and reporting on clinical trials.
You can be located at any one of AstraZeneca’s vibrant R&D sites in Cambridge UK Gaithersburg US, Gothenburg Sweden. The role will be at Senior Director or Director level depending on your background and experience.
What you’ll do
- You will be responsible for managing global clinical trials and related research projects, as well as serving as an expert on the design, conduct, monitoring, data interpretation, and reporting of these studies. Accordingly, you will ensure projects adhere to Good Clinical Practice and regulatory requirements, as well as be responsible for overseeing the development of the functional strategy or act as a renowned expert in your own field.
- Direct/Oversee the design and implementation of early-stage clinical projects, as a member of our Clinical Program Team. Ensure that the overall scientific and medical content of all clinical programs are scientifically and clinically rigorous
- Lead cross-functional teams comprised of multidisciplinary professionals and clinical scientists. Direct responsibility for leading a team of Clinical Development professionals and ensure delivery of their portfolio of assets
- Prepare clinical development plans that integrate pre-clinical and early clinical findings while working to ensure cross-functional alignment on an ongoing basis throughout the early phases of clinical development
- Design scientifically rigorous and maximally cost-effective clinical protocols that are aligned with the clinical development plans, ensuring seamless transition of early clinical programs to late stage development
- Mentor ECD Medical Directors and/or Associate Medical Directors to ensure that CVRM ECD core values and clinical development strategies are implemented
- Serve as Medical Monitor, responsible for the safety monitoring of clinical trials, and as a medical expert for Phase I/II studies, managing the process from protocol development through individual study report and integrated regulatory documentation
- Contribute to the preparation of various official and regulatory documents for Regulatory and other agencies, such as Dossiers, CTAs, INDs, Safety, and Annual reports, handling of responses to regulatory agencies regarding questions about complex clinical development issues (e.g., safety or efficacy)
Essential for the role
- We are looking for Medical Doctors with clinical and research experience in either early- or late-stage cardiovascular, renal or metabolism development. With your sincere interest in improving patient lives, you will be part of a team driving clinical development of novel innovative therapies for CVRM diseases. A few qualities that we believe are important for this role include:
- MD with PhD (or equivalent experience) and deep clinical experience in relevant CVRM therapeutic area. Expertise within metabolic disease areas is highly preferred and relevant specialty training an advantage
- Robust research experience and scientific publication record
- Pharmaceutical Industry experience in clinical development together with comprehensive knowledge of the clinical and pharmaceutical drug development process
- Early clinical translational research expertise and experience, including experience in designing, monitoring, executing and interpreting clinical trials, with understanding of biomarkers, biostatistics and safety reporting
- Ability to conduct innovative clinical trials in terms of design and new modalities
- Technical (medical and scientific) experience of evaluating targets/agents for in -licensing or internal development
- Excellent interpersonal and collaboration skills are required to work efficiently across disciplines in a global matrix organisation
At AstraZeneca when we see an opportunity for change, we seize it and make it happen, because any opportunity no matter how small, can be the start of something big. Delivering life-changing medicines is about being entrepreneurial - finding those moments and recognizing their potential. Join us on our journey of building a new kind of organization to reset expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we’re opening new ways to work, pioneering groundbreaking methods and bringing unexpected teams together. Interested? Come and join our journey.
So, what’s next!
If you are ready to make a difference - apply today, and we'll make it happen together!
Where can I find out more?
Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca/
21st of June 2021
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.