Senior IT Business Manager - Clinical Pharmacology & Safety Sciences
At AstraZeneca we turn ideas into life changing medicines. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality.
Our Science and Enabling Units IT vision is to deliver the best science IT capabilities in biopharma, which we define as agile, responsive and fit-for-future. Our goal is to engage with our stakeholders as a strategic partner in delivering life-changing medicines to our patients. The desired effect of your role is to take accountability as a leader for delivering a ‘Best in Class’ IT experience..
The Senior IT Business Manager will develop strategic relationships within Clinical Pharmacology & Safety Sciences organization identifying ways for IT to partner with them in achieving and exceeding business objectives. You will drive the delivery of innovative business solutions to create maximum competitive advantage. The role combines in-depth understanding of AstraZeneca, business area strategy and domain knowledge of Clinical Pharmacology & Safety Sciences functions, and relevant technical expertise to drive the creation of new innovative technology solutions and continuous value from existing solutions.
This role requires a hybrid set of technical, business domain, and leadership skills. You are expected to perform as a leader-doer with the ability to inspire and motivate an agile and diverse team of professionals in a complex matrix organization. This role is a mix of leading a team and building a relationship of trust with our stakeholders, anchored by strong technical and domain expertise and continuous learning and development.
You will work with business units in Clinical Pharmacology & Safety Sciences. You will be a leader and advocate for Clinical Pharmacology & Safety Sciences working collaboratively as part of a customer-facing IT team. In this role, you will work collaboratively with other Senior IT Business Managers in the broader Clinical Pharmacology & Safety Sciences domain, and be expected to develop and leverage relationships with strategic external partners and a global IT matrix spanning 2,000+ people across the US, UK, Sweden, Poland, and India. All business engagement team members are expected to develop domain and technical expertise across all our domains and take on special/opportunistic projects outside of his/her core domain.
The core accountabilities of the role include:
- Building strong strategic relationships with complex customer groups and senior stakeholders, developing a deep understanding of the short-term and long-term business direction.
- Developing and maintaining the stakeholder management plan, conducting continuous stakeholder analysis, and working cross-functionally to align on strategy and plans
- Assessing and prioritizing Clinical Pharmacology & Safety Sciences requirements in line with IT strategy, and influencing IT strategy where appropriate
- Managing a portfolio of IT investments, prioritized to align with emerging business strategy
- Facilitating accurate IT demand forecasting, planning, and delivery collaboratively with other supporting IT team roles
- Leading high-level investigations on requirements specifications and feasibility studies, developing a range of options aligned to business and IT strategy
- Leading business impact assessments, identifying risks and issues that may affect current and future business units and roles, and create business readiness plan
- Partnering with key stakeholders on the development of detailed business cases for new IT solutions
- Proactively identifying opportunities for IT to deliver innovative technology solutions to provide competitive advantage
- Presenting and gaining buy-in from senior leaders for IT initiatives, leveraging domain knowledge to gain credibility, trust, and commitment
Works collaboratively with:
- Business and IT leadership teams and other senior stakeholders to build their understanding of IT strategy, programmes and challenges
- IT Strategy, Architecture, Portfolio Management and Project/Programme Management to agree the future shape of proposed solutions and initiate projects in partnership
- Other stakeholder area Senior IT Business Managers to create alignment and identify cross-functional collaboration and/or innovation opportunities
- Business analysts to define detailed requirements, conduct business analysis, and build business cases
- Portfolio Managers and solution delivery leads to initiate projects, clearly define scope and monitor the delivery of project value compared to the promised benefits
- Service Management teams to ensure the IT services plans are established for the customer group, actively monitored, and effectively managed in line with established service levels
Education, Qualifications, and Experience
- Experience in and knowledge of bio-pharma industry
- Demonstrated delivery of significant scientific information systems.
- Deep knowledge and understanding of the Clinical Pharmacology & Safety Sciences domain.
- Extensive knowledge of scientific and clinical pharmaceutical processes.
- Proven ability to interpret and communicate technical and scientific information.
- Substantial experience in managing and delivering business change through IT projects and delivering results.
- Experience of building high value business caseas & mobilising high value investments.
- Experience of leading teams with a demonstrable track record of motivational and achievement-oriented leadership.
- Proven ability to operate across multiple domains and ambiguity.
- Demonstrated ability to build strategic working partnerships with senior AZ internal customers, peers and partners.
- The ability to travel both domestically and internationally.
- Degree or relevant business qualification
- Involvement in pharma thought leadership networks and organisations
- Agile development methodologies
Skills and Capabilities
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong influencing, networking and team working skills
- Strong Scientific background
- High level awareness of developments in the Information Technology marketplace
- Demonstrate strong relationship building skills with the ability to influence others to achieve objectives
- Proficiency in planning, change management and problem solving and able to resolve issues of a highly complex and strategic nature
- Proven ability to relate and respond to business needs in an IT environment
- Ability to manage negotiations, expectations and solutions across complex groups
- Ability to work well in and across diverse global teams
- Ability to partner and work in a matrix organisation
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law. AstraZeneca only employs individuals with the right to work in the country/ies where the role is advertised.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.