Senior Director, Tumor Strategy Oncology
At AstraZeneca, we have created and strategically acquired one of the most promising Oncology pipelines in the industry. In addition to developing this pipeline using in-house capabilities, we also partner with a host of biotech companies to leverage new, disruptive technologies. As Director of Tumour Strategy, you will be part of a high performing Commercial Strategy Team that will be responsible for ensuring that the decisions we make with our pipeline assets best position us for maximum return on investment and positive patient outcomes.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
Collaborating closely with a Science Unit leader, you will co-lead a team of cross functional experts across research, development, and commercial functions to develop and implement robust strategies across oncology in order to optimize the development of our portfolio of oncology drugs. You will drive the collection of meaningful, timely, and accurate clinical and commercial data from a wide range of internal and external sources and perform detailed analyses. Your analysis and strategic advice will drive long-term projects across business units from early discovery to the design of clinical trials, and will be the foundation for accurate, concise recommendations to leaders within short timescales.
You will communicate strategies and business metrics to senior leaders throughout AstraZeneca - making a direct and meaningful contribution to AstraZeneca strategy; which will impact not only commercial return on investment - but also directly the outcomes of patients.
Your responsibilities will also encompass the provision of market assessments, revenue forecasts and asset valuations for portfolio investment decisions and resource planning, based on market research and competitor analysis. To achieve this, it is critical that you possess strong consultative and communication skills; as well as the ability to formulate cohesive strategic arguments and respectfully challenge a group of experts. This requires effective stakeholder and relationship management skills with the ability to interact and build trusted relationships with all levels of employees, including senior leadership.
The role will require moderate global travel (Medical congress, Advisory boards and key internal meetings).
Candidates with previous post-doctorate experience, a relevant role in industry - or in a large advisory firm or a background in Pharmaceutical investment banking analysis are encouraged to apply. You must be a critical thinker with experience of identifying and driving key projects and providing researched, verified, relevant information to leaders.
- Co-leading a cross-functional Tumour Strategy team for 2-4 key tumours to optimise strategy for AZ’s pipeline assets;
- Based on deep disease area expertise, external market research and competitive intelligence, providing critical strategic advice on the design of clinical trials to ensure commercial success;
- Providing strategic guidance to R&D leaders on risk/return for clinical and future commercial success;
- Leading market assessments, revenue forecasts, and asset valuations for portfolio investment decisions and resource planning;
- Leading competitive analysis to help refine long term growth strategies for the Oncology Therapy Area.
Skills and Experience Required
- Background in Oncology or Immunology;
- Post-graduate degree in biological, chemical, or pharmacological sciences
- Strong track record of analysis and fact-based decision-making;
- Strong business acumen and complex problem-solving skills;
- Understanding of the fundamentals of clinical trial design and principles associated with registration of a new biologic/pharma product.
- Deep understanding of disease biology and/or clinical landscape of oncological disorders. Ph.D. could be highly beneficial in this role;
- Candidates may have clinical or investor background or may possess an MBA, but not required;
- Awareness of the highly competitive cancer therapeutic marketplace including the many new technologies that are being developed across the industry (Preclinical and Clinical);
- Experience assessing oncology portfolios and advising internal/external clients on how to best position themselves for success;
- Experience in setting up short and long term strategic plans for Oncology portfolios;
- Experience conducting or designing clinical trials may be beneficial if individual has the right mix of analysis and strategy to accompany this experience;
- Exposure to risk analysis and understanding risk profiles.
- Highly analytical, with strong data management skills;
- Understanding of clinical data and clinical trial design;
- Strategic mindset with high intellectual capability, agility and adaptability;
- Significant levels of ambition and motivation;
- Results oriented with a propensity for innovative thinking;
- Enterprise mindset and focus; strong process skills and ability to work in a matrixed organization with cross-functional teams;
- Ability to influence without authority and establish/maintain credibility with senior individuals/audiences;
- Resourceful, decisive and proactive; must be able to manage multiple priorities in a fast growing organisation;
- Sound judgment, high integrity and ability to maintain strict confidentiality;
- Strong consultative and communication skills; must be able to formulate cohesive strategic arguments and respectfully challenge in a group of experts;
- Effective stakeholder and relationship management experience; able to interact and build trusted relationships with all levels of employees, especially senior leadership.
- Vice Presidents and Heads of Oncology R&D units
- Global Product Teams
- Oncology Business Unit – Marketing
- Clinical Development leadership
- Translational Science teams
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.