Enterprise Information Architect – Governance Lead
AstraZeneca is a global biopharmaceutical business that focuses on the discovery, development and commercialisation of prescription medicines for some of the world's most serious diseases. At AstraZeneca, we're proud to have a workplace culture that inspires innovation and collaboration. Here, you would express dynamic perspectives, give to an energised environment and provide creative ideas - and be rewarded for this.
Science and Enabling Units IT is a global IT capability supporting drug research, drug development, Global Product & Portfolio Strategy, Global Medical Affairs, Finance, HR, Compliance, Legal and Global Business Services. We are organized around 7 key capability areas: Business Partnering, Solution Delivery, Architecture, Application Support, Data & Analytics, Change & Operations. We operate out of sites across the US, UK, Sweden, India and Mexico.
Data & Analytics provides analytics, data insight services and solutions critical to the mission of AstraZeneca. D&A is organized into teams specialising in: Information Architecture, Data Engineering, Visual Engineering, Knowledge Management, Data Science, Data Analysis and Information Governance.
We are recruiting for Information Architects to be based at our Central Cambridge site. As an Information Architect you will be responsible for delivering the optimal design of data and information architectures to support business objectives. A key component of delivery will be to ensure that AstraZeneca data is Findable, Accessible, Interoperable and Reusable (FAIR) across our systems, ready for either direct use by consumers or AI machines. You will also be responsible for crafting and documenting data flows across the estate, crafting data models for analytics/reporting, assessing feasibility of data models, working with business data governance groups in establishing data standards (master, reference, structure) and working with solution architects on data integration and service architectures. You will also give to developing Information Architecture standard methodology – tooling, methods, standards, skills, documentation and training.
The role will work closely with 5 key partner groups:
- Enterprise & Technical Architecture – ensuring an integrated technical, process & data architecture,
- Data Engineering to guide Information Architecture design implementation,
- Business Data Governance groups to align data strategies re quality/use with architecture,
- Product owners ensuring understanding of business outcome in the detailed design of the Information Architecture,
- Wider AstraZeneca Information Architecture design to ensure alignment across the data estate.
You will be part of a team of Information Architects who work closely with each of these partner groups. Each member of the team will be aligned with a specific function (e.g. early science, late science or enabling units) and will support the delivery of the Data and Analytics portfolio through the provision of integrated Information Architecture services and design.
You will be the Information Architecture lead on range of portfolio projects within your functional area; this will require you to deliver IA blueprints and design, in line with functional IA roadmaps. A core part of the role will also be to evangelise Information Architecture and the value and impact of good Information Architecture design and governance to both IT and business teams. Our business partners and team members are spread globally so you will need a collaborative delivery approach to be successful.
You will be a member of the Information Architecture Review Board, ensuring that all Information Architectures are reviewed and are aligned with your functional area. This role may also extend to membership of business data governance teams to ensure overall alignment.
The Information Architecture team will also play a leading role in developing strategic approaches to Information Architecture and embedding across the IT project portfolio; including developing strategies for the use of master data, metadata and data catalogues. You will be expected to contribute to these strategies as a member of the team.
Key skills and experience
- You will have experience of delivering Information Architectures within IT projects delivered through Agile and Waterfall methodologies,
- You will have experience of working with a range of BI & analytics architectures: including traditional warehousing, Distributed computing (Hadoop), NoSQL, virtualization or data streaming,
- You will need Business Leadership capabilities – ability to partner and collaborate across both IT and Science teams to inform on the best Information Architecture,
- You will need strong influencing and innovation skills,
- You will also need superb communication and facilitation skills.
Desirable technical skills & experience
- Domain knowledge (processes & data): Pharma R&D, Finance, HR, Compliance etc
- Knowledge of, and experience of implementing data management capabilities – including Master and Reference Data Management, Data Quality Management, Metadata Management and Data Governance,
- Experience of Data Catalogues and/or Metadata repositories,
- Experience of working with data scientists and their methods: understanding of how data needs to be prepared for use by data scientists,
- Experience of defining Information Architectures for cloud-based solutions and technologies (we currently use Talend for ETL, AWS data and analytics services such as S3, SQS, SNS, Redshift, Postgres, Aurora, MySQL, EMR, HIVE, PIG, Spark),
- Knowledge of taxonomies, ontologies and semantic standards for data integration,
- Knowledge of the FAIR data principles and their used to establish improved access to data sets,
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.